National Insurance Contributions

Many locum doctors will often have at least two sources of income. It is common for locums to have:-


  • Self employed locum income.

  • Salaried income from hospital, PCT or doctors surgery.

Both these sources are liable to national insurance contributions (NIC's). A locum doctor will pay NIC'S on their self employed income as well as NIC's on their salaried income.


There is, however, a maximum limit of national insurance contributions which any individual tax payer has to pay in any year. Often a locum doctor will have paid the maximum national insurance contributions due on their self employed income alone.


However, it is not uncommon for this point to be missed by an inexperianced or non-specialist accountant. If the accountant does not request that the national insurance contributions are refunded, the locum doctor will pay more national insurance than is due. The Inland Revenue has no procedure to prevent this from happening and it would not be unusual for a locum doctor to pay £1,500 per annum in unnecessary contributions. The locum doctor receives no additional benefits for these additional contributions.


How Can We Help


One of the first things that we will do when appointed to act for a locum doctor is to check what national insurance contributions are being paid. If the contributions have been over paid in the past, we are able to reclaim the overpayment.

Request A Call Back

Success! Message received.